Out of State Speeding Ticket: Will I Get Points on My Drivers License?

If you get a ticket for speeding in another state, you may be wondering if your home state will apply points to your license for that out of state speeding ticket. The answer to that question depends largely on the state in which you live, and if your violation is aggravated by other circumstances.

What happens When You Get an Out of State Speeding Ticket

In many cases, simple speeding tickets may not be recorded by your state's Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and therefore would not carry points. However, that changes if:

  • In addition to speeding, you have been charged with an alcohol- or drug-related violation. In such cases, you may not only face points, but also having your license revoked for six months or longer. It is critical that you never drink or use drugs and drive.
  • You receive your ticket over the border in Canada or Mexico. In some instances, speeding tickets recorded in these neighboring countries are recorded back in your home state and carry points.

Your state can also assign points to your license in other specific instances, so be sure to check your DMV for more information.

In addition to these considerations, some states will revoke your license at home if you fail to answer or to pay a speeding violation that occurred in another state. States have specific agreements with other states, so you will need to learn the specific rules governing failing to respond to out-of-state speeding violations in your state. For example, New York State will suspend your license if you fail to answer a ticket received in any state, other than Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin. In addition to learning these rules, you simply should respond to all violations immediately.

What to Do If You Get a Speeding Ticket Out of State

If you have received a speeding ticket in another state, you are advised to take the following steps:

  • Contact your state's DMV to determine what the rules are regarding points, license revocation, etc. in your state in such cases.
  • Follow your DMV's recommended steps for addressing out-of-state violations.
  • Answer the ticket from the issuing state according to the instructions on the backside of the ticket. Respond to the ticket promptly and professionally to avoid facing infractions at home.

Getting Help

When you get an out of state speeding ticket, you can contact an attorney to help you to deal with the matter. Your lawyer can assist you in defending yourself, even going to court on your behalf if you can't return to the state, and can help you to minimize the consequences of your out of state ticket.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to an attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you