Obstructed View Through Windshield

The laws in most states prohibit the obstruction of the windshield by affixing anything to the windshield other than sun visors, rear-view mirrors, and electronic toll collecting devices. California law forbids any device "applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows". Windshield obstruction laws have occasionally been applied to radar-detector owners. An individual can also be cited if there is a pit, chip, or crack larger than one-inch in diameter at any location of the windshield.

Fines and Penalties

Most citations issued for an obstructed windshield are traffic infractions that carry a fine between $50 and $100. These infractions are issued as fix-it ticket, which requires the motorist to fix or correct the violation and/or pay a fine. Some states issue a "Notice to Correct Violation" which is issued by an officer for an equipment, license, or registration violation. In the State of California, if you ignore a Notice to Correct Violation, the police agency will complain to the court. The court will then formally charge you with the violation and with the offense of failing to correct the violation as promised. The maximum penalty for this is a fine of $1000 and six months in jail.

Traffic Points and Impact on Driving Record / License

Each city and state has different laws that govern how to correct a non-moving violation. Some states may require that you go to court with proof that you have corrected the problem, while others allow you to mail the signed ticket with proof of correction to the court along with your dismissal fee. You should check your local laws to find out what's required to correct the violation. Often, the instructions may be written on the back of the ticket.

Hiring a Lawyer

Police officers will often make a traffic stop for a non-moving violation. In many of these cases, they may use this in order to search for another reason to ticket an individual for other violations. If you feel that you have been wrongfully singled out for some minor offense, seeking legal advice may be the best option. A traffic attorney who specializes in this type of law may be able to offer advice that pertains to your specific case.

Talk to a Lawyer

Need a lawyer? Start here.

How it Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you
Get Professional Help

Talk to a Traffic Ticket attorney.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you