No Hazmat Endorsement

An individual who holds a Commercial Driver’s License must have the appropriate endorsements for hauling hazardous materials.  This endorsement is required for vehicles transporting hazardous materials requiring placards per the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act.  New requirements for commercial drivers who wish to obtain, transfer or renew a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement will be required to complete the Security Threat Assessment with the Transportation Security Administration.  Drivers hauling hazardous materials without the proper endorsement on their license will be subject to disciplinary actions and penalties.

Fines and Penalties

A minimum civil penalty of $2,500 will be assessed, but not more than $5,000.  For a subsequent offense within a 5-year period, the penalty will be a fine of $5,000 to $10,000, with the maximum civil penalty assessment at $25,000. The civil penalty must be paid within a short timeframe and if it’s not paid when due, the license of the driver will be suspended.

Traffic Points and Impact on Driving Record / License

The penalty for operating a commercial vehicle without the proper hazardous materials endorsement will result in a disqualification of license for a period of 6 months to 2 years.  A second or subsequent conviction within ten years will result in a 3 to 5 year disqualification. 

Hiring a Lawyer

Due to the new safety regulations issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administrations, there are many new standards that truck drivers must conform to.  Tighter restrictions are in place for transporting hazardous materials.  Special training is required for all drivers to be trained on how to deal with anti-terrorist measures.  If you find yourself in violation of any of the new guidelines, you may want to consult with a professional attorney who specializes in representing commercial drivers.



Swipe to view more

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys