My drivers license was suspended because of unpaid traffic tickets. What can I do to restore it?


My drivers license was suspended because of unpaid traffic tickets. What can I do to restore it?


Many people are aware that accumulating too many points can result in driver's license suspension. However, many are unaware that failure to pay a single traffic ticket can also result in a loss of driving privileges. Traffic ticket laws vary from one jurisdiction to another, so the exact procedure of restoring your driving privileges if you lost them for unpaid tickets will depend on where you live.

In many cases, the situation can be easily rectified by simply contacting the appropriate court, requesting the amount needed to satisfy the unpaid tickets and making the payment. Once you do this, you generally need to also pay a reinstatement fee for your license and present proof that the tickets are paid, and your privileges will be restored.

Sometimes the situation cannot be settled that easily due to the inability to pay. If you are in this situation and you are planning to file for bankruptcy, or you already have, you should be able to get your license restored once the debt is discharged under a Chapter 7 or included in your repayment plan under Chapter 13.

Filing for bankruptcy is, of course, not a measure that you want to consider solely to get your driver's license back. However, if you need to drive and you cannot afford to pay your tickets at this time, you may be able reach an agreement with the DMV. Generally, once a person's license is suspended, he/she will receive a notice that he/she has a right to an appeal or a hearing if a request is made within a certain time. It may be possible to use this opportunity to negotiate for restoration of your driving privileges.

If you are not sure exactly how to begin the process to restore your driver's license, you should contact a traffic lawyer for professional advice.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys