How do I get a hardship waiver for a suspended license fine?


How do I get a hardship waiver for a suspended license fine?


When you've managed to have your license suspended due to either a DUI or some other reckless driving charge, you immediately begin the process of regaining your license--figuring out what you need to do to get it back. However, what if with the California judge drivers license reinstatement, you can't pay the fine? How do you go about resolving this problem?

Assuming that your license was suspended for a DUI and it was your first (reinstatement of suspended license for other reasons will be similar), the following will need to be completed in order have your license reinstated:

  1. Get a DMV approved treatment list and register with the Community Services at the county court. Submit a copy of your DUI record so that your enrollment into treatment is reported back to the court.
  2. Enroll into a listed treatment program; be sure and bring your proof of income with you.
  3. Take a letter written by your employer explaining why you need a restricted license. It must be typed on letterhead, dated, and it must be addressed: "Your Honor." It must also include the person's (the boss or job trainer) name and title typed out below the signature.
  4. If it has been longer than 30 days since the DUI was issued, contact the county court clerk and request a court date to get a court order for a restricted license.
  5. Supply the judge and the District Attorney with a copy of your documents to review prior to asking the judge for restricted license in order to return to work and attend DUI treatment.
  6. Pay the court clerk $27 or submit court forms FW-001 and FW-003 (approved fee waiver) to have a certified copy of the court order sent to the DMV Mandatory Actions Unit.
  7. Allow the DMV Mandatory Actions Unit 15 days to make the adjustment to your DMV record.

Talk to a Lawyer

Want to talk to an attorney? Start here.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys